[gradsusr] Root Mean Square Error

Amulya Chevuturi amulya.chevuturi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 23:25:21 EST 2012

Hello Tahereh,

This is a website containing quite many scripts for various analysis. There
is a RMSE calculation script also called ltrend.gs. Please look it and see
if it is useful for your work.
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~bguan/grads/GrADS_Scripts.html

Usually the RMSE calculation is done through the commands:

"define RMSE=sqrt(ave((A*A),t=t1,t=tn)"
Where,
RMSE=Root Mean Square Error
A=Is the parameter you want to calculate
t1=Time step 1 for you series
tn=Last time step for your series
This will give you the plot of a time period.

OR

"define RMSE=sqrt(aave((A*A),lon=lon1,lon=lonn,lat=lat1,lat=latn)"
Where
RMSE=Root Mean Square Error
A=Is the parameter you want to calculate
Lat1, Latn, Lon1 and Lonn = Tell the extent of your study
This will give you a time series of RMSE.

Hopefully this clears your doubt.

With regards,
Amulya Chevuturi
School of Environmental Sciences