[gradsusr] area

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:29:53 EDT 2012

Fernanda,
The best I can come up with is to define a new field that satisfies the
condition, but use the const function to set all values as 1.  Then take
the sum of that field across a larger area that contains your new field.
For your example, you could define a new field as the binary of temperature
within the 10 C contour (you'd have to clarify whether above or below 10 C)
as

'define above = maskout(temperature,10)'
'define aboveone = const(above,1)'

or nest the above formulas into one step: 'define aboveone =
const(maskout(temperature,10),1)'

Then: 'd asumg(aboveone,x=x1,x=x2,y=y1,y=y2)', where you'd have to insert
specific values for x1, x2, y1, y2.

If your temperature field contained values both above and below a closed
10C contour, you'd have to define a second field for the other direction,
then sum the two final values together.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Fernanda Casagrande <fenc10 at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hello,
> Does anyone know how to calculate an area (Kmˆ2) inside a contour
> interval? example, the area inside the  10oC contour?
> best,
> Fernanda
>

> > Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:06:35 +0100
> > From: bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk
> > To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
> > Subject: Re: [gradsusr] Dimension Environment
> >

> > That is your nearest grid point.
> > Do you think you create extra information by interpolation?
> >
> > I doubt it.
> >
> > --
> > Bernd Becker Climate Impacts Product Development
> > Met Office Hadley Centre FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United
> > Kingdom
> > Tel.: +44 (0) 1392 884511 Fax: +44 (0)870 900 5050
> > E-mail:bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk -
> > http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/bernd-becker

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant