[gradsusr] Grads plot size

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 29 17:52:38 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Giovanni Besio <giovanni.besio at unige.it>wrote:

> Dear Users,
> I'm trying to generate a plot with grads that should be 700px by 1000px
> because some text is being plotted outside the visible region.
> I tried to use printim x700 y1000 but grads generates a stretched plot
> of the same figure and not a greater plot.

It may sound strange, but how did you reach this conclusion? How did you
display the image you generated?

> Does anyone has a solution for this problem?

For one, to avoid distortion, choose the size of your image to match the
same aspect ratio of a landscape or portrait page.  For example, in
portrait mode (8.5" x 11") the aspect ratio is x/y = 8.5/11. So, if you
choose your image to have 700 pixels in the "x" direction, chose 905 pixels
in the "y" direction.

If you are using opengrads, gxyat is an alternative to printim that gives
you better fonts (although with larger files sizes):

ga-> gxyat -x 700 -y 905 myfile.png

> I'm interested in producing kml files as well. Does anybody could
> suggest me a good guide?

Starting by reading the grads documentation, in particular this
section: kml<http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetkml.html>

--
Arlindo da Silva
*dasilva at alum.mit.edu*