[gradsusr] .ctl file of gribs2 file

Rowell, Mason D. Mason.D.Rowell-1 at ou.edu
Tue Apr 10 11:08:32 EDT 2012

Hello,

Well I don't ever remember corresponding with anyone on the grads boards about this, but I think I know the problem. I don't think you can run the script to produce your .ctl file from within the grads environment, you need to do so outside of this on the operating system where you have installed grads. I'm going to guess from the below that you have some linux operating system. You need to look at the documentation on how to run this g2ctl script, which you seem to know of given the command you tried in grads, and instead do so from the linux environment with perl in your path. If perl was installed in the standard place /usr/bin (as is assumed in the perl script) it should be in the path from where you would type the command. If it is not then you will need to specify the path to perl before running the perl script with the appropriate command on that same line as specified by the documentation (and also change this line in the perl script, i.e. #!/usr/bin/perl -w, the the correct path). At this point, you would need to run gribmap outside of grads as well to get the .idx file. There should be documentation on this as well. It is my experience these need be paired in the same directory when opening the .ctl, which is where you would then want to use grads (i.e. you can open the .ctl in grads with the open command).

Also, please send out these emails to gradsusr at gradsusr.org instead of individuals. You will get more potential responders and I could have any of my mistakes checked by those individuals as well. Good luck.

PS- Others, have I made a mistake? I never once tried to run g2ctl or the other grib version from within grads.