[gradsusr] How to prepare monthly climatology in GrADS

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 20 10:49:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Sudev Das M P <devdas.pnr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hai,
>
> I have 19 years monthly data sets for heat flux (net heat flux),
>
> (nhf_1988.nc, nhf_1989.nc,......nhf_2006.nc) starting from 1988 to 2006,
>
> with each year having a separate file. I want to prepare monthly
> climatology
>
> using these data files in GrADS. How to  do this in GrADS ? Hope to get
>
> some valuable suggestion.

There is more than one way of doing this, here is a solution using lats4d.
First, write a template DDF or CTL to open these files are a single time
series, call it nfh.ddf. Now, to create the january climatology enter:

% lats4d.sh -i nhf.ddf -o nhf_jan -time jan1998 jan2006 12 -mean -v

and repeat this for each month.  (There are also variants to have all the 12
months on a single file.) Also look at the NCO utilities.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu