[gradsusr] Writing GrADS netCDF files with IDL

Huddleston, John Huddleston at cira.colostate.edu
Tue Sep 13 13:44:04 EDT 2011

Rich

There are some IDL sample http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/programs/ codes to read and write netCDF files.

John Huddleston

From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org [mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of Bantges, Richard J
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:50 AM
To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
Subject: [gradsusr] Writing GrADS netCDF files with IDL

Hi there,

I'm trying to write a GrADS compatible netCDF file using ITT's IDL software, that can then be read in using GrADS's sdfopen command. Does anyone have an example IDL procedure that does this please?

I've managed to write out data in a gridded binary data file that is described here http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutgriddeddata.html but ideally I'd like to write these in netCDF format. The main problem is writing the netCDF so that the associated control file accurately describes the netCDF file content.

So, if anyone has a very simple IDL procedure that writes out a netCDF file that can be directly read by GrADS using the sdfopen command that would be fantastic.

Rich