[gradsusr] Writing GrADS netCDF files with IDL

Dave Allured dave.allured at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 13 13:29:53 EDT 2011

Richard,

A control file is used with the Grads xdfopen command, but *not* the
sdfopen command.  sdfopen is used to *directly* open a netcdf file.

   http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html

Use xdfopen and a control file to make up for certain missing
metadata, such as coordinate arrays or coordinate units.  But
hopefully you will be writing a sufficient netcdf file so that you
do not need xdfopen.

Sorry, I do not have sample IDL code for this.  But the IDL
documentation shows that all of the necessary functions should be
available to write good netcdf.  There is sample code to write
netcdf in the IDL 8.1 help system, under "NetCDF files".

If you are already creating a netcdf file from IDL, then post the
results of ncdump -h, and we can try to tell you what's missing for
sdfopen to work perfectly.

--Dave