[gradsusr] printim error due to variable in filename

Joe Moore joe at wxjoe.com
Sat Sep 3 16:53:55 EDT 2011

Greetings!

I'm just getting started with GrADS and I'm still a beginner, but I'm having
a problem that I can't seem to resolve from reading the documentation and
searching online, including the archives of this mailing list.

Problem: When using a variable in the filename to save the output, I'm
getting an error.

Here's the relevant code:

'printim out/RTMA_TMP_'day'_'hr'.png'

where I am defining the variable day and hour using the following:
'q time'
hr=substr(result, 8, 2)
day=substr(result, 11, 10)

The result of which, when I print as a string or in the title, comes out to
be 23 for the hour and 16AUG2011.

Expect result: I should have a file output called RTMA_TMP_16AUG2011_23.png

What actually is happening: The file output is just called
RTMA_TMP_23AUG2011 (that's it- no .png) and when I run I get the following
error: PRINTIM error: Invalid option; ignored

I've been able to sometimes get this to work, like if I put a few characters
(not including an underscore or period) in the output filename - but I can't
figure it out. I'd like to use either underscores, dashes or periods to
separate the variables in the output file name, and I've seen it done in
example scripts I've found on the web.

Configuration: I am running OpenGrADS 2.0.a9.oga.1 on Ubuntu 11.04. The data
is coming from the RTMA grib2 from the NOAA NOMADS server. Here is my full
grads config info:
ga-> q config
Config: v2.0.a9.oga.1 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds
hdf5 opendap-grids,stn athena geotiff shapefile
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a9.oga.1
Copyright (c) 1988-2010 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Mon Oct  4 14:16:26 EDT 2010 for i686-pc-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:
  o Built on a LITTLE ENDIAN machine
  o Athena Widget GUI ENABLED
  o Command line editing ENABLED
      http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html
  o printim command for image output ENABLED
      http://www.zlib.net
      http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
      http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page
  o GRIB2 interface ENABLED
      http://www.ijg.org
      http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper
      http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2
      g2clib-1.1.8
  o NetCDF interface ENABLED
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf
      netcdf 4.1.1 of Jul 10 2010 23:36:25 $
  o OPeNDAP gridded data interface ENABLED
  o OPeNDAP station data interface ENABLED
      http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html
      libgadap 2.0.oga.1
  o HDF4 and HDF5 interfaces ENABLED
      http://hdfgroup.org
      HDF 4.2r3
      HDF5 1.8.4
  o GeoTIFF and KML/TIFF output ENABLED
      http://www.libtiff.org
      http://geotiff.osgeo.org
  o KML contour output ENABLED
  o Shapefile interface ENABLED
      http://shapelib.maptools.org

For additional information please consult http://iges.org/grads

Not sure if its needed, but here is also the code I am using:
http://pastebin.com/hHuXR6ae (There's a few comments and irrelevant things
as this has been my sandbox script to learn new things.)

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

-Joe Moore