[gradsusr] Guidelines for Downloading the OpenGrADS Bundle for Linux

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 29 16:45:26 EDT 2011

Dear GrADS Linux Users,

  This message is intended for those users downloading the OpenGrADS bundle
for Linux. As of this writing there are 2 binary tarballs at sf.net:

- 32-bit version (i686):

       grads-2.0.1.oga.1-bundle-i686-glibc2.5-linux-gnu.tar.gz<http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads2/2.0.1.oga.1/Linux/grads-2.0.1.oga.1-bundle-i686-glibc2.5-linux-gnu.tar.gz/download>

-  64-bit version (x86_64):

        grads-2.0.1.oga.1-bundle-x86_64-glibc2.5-linux-gnu.tar.gz<http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads2/2.0.1.oga.1/Linux/grads-2.0.1.oga.1-bundle-x86_64-glibc2.5-linux-gnu.tar.gz/download>

(You can determine if your machine is 32 or 64 bits with the uname command:

% uname -m
)

Now, the i686 binary will usually work on a x86_64 machine, but the native
build will be a bit faster.

Notice that we do not label the opengrads binary tarball with the name of
Linux distribution where we built it on. The reason is that these
(statically linked) binaries will usually work on a number of different
Linux distributions. (The usual error message saying  that a
"libWhatever.so" cannot be found is easily fixed in the opengrads builds;
see the Troubleshooting section of the INSTALL file.) The main factor
determining whether a binary will work or not is the version of the GNU C
Library (glibc). You can find the glibc version on your computer with the
ldd command:

 % ldd --version

The opengrads binaries for now on will show its own version of glibc in the
file name. Usually, if your linux installation matches the glibc of the
opengrads binaries (or if it is newer) you should be fine. If you have an
older llinux distribution with a previous version of glibc there is a very
good chance that the binaries will not work.

At this point in time, 2.5 is the older version of glibc I can build for;
however other people in this list may have older hardware available and be
kind enough to contribute builds. Otherwise, If you have an older version of
glibc building from sources (or upgrading your OS) may be your best option.
(Or else, run a previous version of grads).

  Good Luck,

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva