[gradsusr] Help with HDF-EOS2

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 5 17:06:40 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Charles Seman <Charles.Seman at noaa.gov>wrote:

> Hernan,
>
> Do you have access to NCL?  If so, there is an "ncl_convert2nc"
> command-line utility which lists "HDF-EOS 2" as one of the input dataset
> formats it recognizes:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_convert2nc.shtml
> I haven't used it.  Example 6 on the above web site features an HDF file
> for input.

I don't think the issue is the format per se (HDF-4 vs NetCDF), but rather
that HDF-EOS uses a metadata convention that is not COARDS; if you ignore
the HDF-EOS junk (usually in the form of global attributes), it is a
bonafide HDF-4 file. With the right DDF you should be able to read this
Level 3 dataset (likely on 1x1 lat lon grid), no need to convert it to
netcdf.   If you have hdf-4 installed, send the result of "ncdump -c
filename" where "ncdump" here is the one that comes with HDF-4.

   Arlindo

> Hope this helps,
> Chuck
>
> hersala wrote:
> > Dear GrADS users:
> >
> > I would need some help in extracting a single dataset from an HDF-EOS2
> > file (for instance, ICECON from AMSR_E_L3_SeaIce12km_B06_20080207.hdf)
> > that could be opened with GrADS.
> >
> > I have already tried in several ways, but to no avail.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Hernán

> Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
> email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

>  Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
>  U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
>  Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
>  201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu