[gradsusr] merra data

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 4 09:49:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Molin Antoine <antoine.molin at poweo.com>wrote:

> **
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I tasted your cooking, and it is good; but we would like to get the MERRA
> data at the resolution 2/3 ° x 0.5°.

For the record, this should not make a difference. Here is the lats4d syntax
to bring about a week of data with these:

% lats4d.sh -i http://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov:80/dods/MAT1NXSLV -vars slp
u50m v50m t2m -time 0:30z01jan2001 23:30z07jan2001 -o merra_slv -v

(Notice that I used lower case "slp".) Go get a cup of coffee and when you
come back this will create a netcdf file called "merra_slv.nc"; use the
-format option to choose another format.

> So i downloaded the Merra data, hdf files, with the variables SLP, U50m,
> V50m and T2m.
>
> * the variable SLP is not recognized by Grads!

The attached file does not have SLP. Please file a bug report with the
M-DISC.

> (the variable "SLP" is on the Merra site:
> http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/FTPSubset.pl?LOOKUPID_List=MAT1NXSLV
> )
>
> * i tried first to read a hdf file with xdfopen, but the written ddf
> (enclosed file) is not good; a "SDF_dimension_name" is lacking, i think, for
> TDEF; but how do you name this dimension_name? and how do you scan a hdf
> file?

Did you create this ctl file or it came with the data? The attached ctl is
wrong as it mixes elements of DDF and CTL.  Here is a templates DDF (I did
not try it):

dset ^MERRA.%y4%m2%d2.SUB.hdf
options template
tdef time 24 linear 00:30Z01jan2001 1hr

If you need a relatively short period of time, why mess with this? Just use
lats4d as above and save yourself some work.

    Arlindo