[gradsusr] Vertical cross sections with topography and displaying levels

Zablone Owiti zablonowiti at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 10:41:02 EST 2011

Dear All,

I'm trying to plot vertical cross section of zonal (U) wind and Omega with topography following  the procedures of previous post in gradsuser archive by Davide (post is below). Plotting U and Omega is fine but I cannot add topography.  I seem not to get it right at  point 4:

4) set parea to previous settings (now you want to plot 1D data (level
is fixed) while in previous u;v the level was varying: default PlotAREA
are different)

My qgxinfo gives:

Last Graphic = Vector
Page Size = 11 by 8.5
X Limits = 1.5 to 10.5
Y Limits = 1 to 8
Xaxis = Lon  Yaxis = Lev
Mproj = 2

How do I use this info to set parea to previous settings?

**********************
if your vertical coord is pressure then you can plot pressfc.
The trick is this:
1) set lev 1000 100 (ex)
2) display something (ex: u;v)
3) get parea settings ('q gxinfo')
4) set parea to previous settings (now you want to plot 1D data (level
is fixed) while in previous u;v the level was varying: default PlotAREA
are different)
5) set y range to 1000 100 (set vrange 100 1000; set yflip on)
5) display PRESsfc

ZABLONE OWITI
GRADUATE STUDENT
Nanjing University of Information, Science and Technology
College of Atmospheric Science

moment."