[gradsusr] doubt in cat command in grads

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Sun Nov 27 00:24:11 EST 2011

Dipak,

As far as I know, the only type of binary files you can 'cat' correctly are GRIB files. In general, if you cat two binary (or netcdf) files to make a third file, the output file will contain a spurious end-of-file (EOF) character that causes it to be corrupted. You're better off keeping the two files separate:

'open rainc.ctl'
'open rainnc.ctl'
'set t 9'
'd rainc.1+rainnc.2'