[gradsusr] Specialized Display Question

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:41:19 EST 2011

Mason,
You can use the cdiff command in the z direction to display variables
(unfortunately, you can't use it to define variables).  However, you can
approximate the vertical derivative by copying the method that cdiff uses.
If you have geopotential height, then you have all you need to compute a
vertical derivative with respect to height coordinates.  You can display
the vertical derivative of theta by either of the following:

'd cdiff(theta,z)'
'd (theta(z+1)-theta(z-1)) / (hgtprs(z+1)-hgtprs(z-1))

If you want to just view the gradient on one pressure surface, set the
level that surface, then enter the command.

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Rowell, Mason D.
<Mason.D.Rowell-1 at ou.edu>wrote:

> All,
>
> Is it possible to display the vertical derivative of some quantity (like
> say temp or potential temp) on a pressure surface? I know I have height in
> my NARR data, but it is specific to a pressure level (i.e. HGTprs). What I
> would need is the height just above the current pressure level and below it
> in order to get cdiff of say theta and z. I'm not sure how to set the
> dimensions to do this...I would be okay with just getting this quantity for
> display at some level height, it doesn't have to be on a pressure surface.
>
> Mason

Jeff Duda
Grad student - PhD, Meteorology
University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology - Center for Analysis and
Prediction of Storms