[gradsusr] converting omega to vertical velocity

Alireza Azargoun alireza.azargoun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:39:03 EST 2011

Dear GrADS users
Hi

I'm recently working on a project about the vertical speed of air in
different elevations. I'm using CFSR data in grb2 format. these data sets
have omega (Pa/s) instead . I tried to convert them to vertical velocity
(m/s) using this equation:
omega=  - rho * g * w  ( or omega=- (P/RT) *g * w )
but the results in (m/s ) are in the order of 10^-3. I know it's not a
Grads problem. but I'm an aerospace student and I need to find out if
anything is wrong with this equation or the results or not. ( I'm not
really familiar with meteorology!)

for example:
if  omega= 0.10595
& g=9.807