[gradsusr] Diagnostics in Ctl File?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:17:41 EST 2011

Mason,
I preferred to derive the formulas for spacings myself.  Simple
trigonometry reveals the following that you should use for dx and dy (i.e.,
meridional and zonal grid spacing):
dx = Re*cos(phi)*d(theta)
dy = Re*d(phi)

where Re is the radius of the Earth (6371 to 6374 km), phi is latitude,
theta is longitude, and the d operator means "change in".  To convert this
to Grads scripting code, you use the cdiff command.  Also note that all
angle measures need to be in radians, so you'll have to convert them as you
do the operation.  Here are the literal Grads command lines I use for this:

re = 6.371e3
'define dx = 're'*cos(lat*(3.1419/180))*cdiff(lon*(3.14159/180))'
'define dy = 're'*cdiff(lon*(3.14159/180))'

Obviously you can assign the conversion factor pi/180 to a script variable
to simplify the symbolism there:

conv_factor = 3.14159/180
e.g., 'define dy = 're'*cdiff(lon*'conv_factor')'

If you try to display dx or dy, you should get a nice little image that
contours or colors dx and dy (dx should decrease towards the poles and not
change along a line of constant latitude, and dy should only be a function
of latitude as well).  Now use this to define temperature advection
(assuming the temperature variable is tmpprs and wind is ugrdprs/vgrdprs):

'define tadv = -ugrdprs*cdiff(tmpprs,x)/(2*dx) -
vgrdprs*cdiff(tmpprs,y)/(2*dy)'

The 98cbar.gs is indeed just a script that defines color levels and sets a
color scheme for when you plot temperature advection.  Changing the color
tables is rather easy in Grads.  You only need to define a color using 'set
rgb # R G B', where # is anything between 16 and 255 (just a reference
number) and R, G, and B are between 0 and 255.  Then you set the contour
intervals manually using 'set clevs , , , , , ...' where you insert
literally the levels you want to use (separated by SPACES, not COMMAS).
Then set the colors for those levels using 'set ccols , , , , , , ,+1'
again using the reference numbers for each color and separating by SPACES.
The "+1" is for the fact that you need one additional color for the number
of levls you put.  You can consult the controlling
colors<http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/colorcontrol.html>page for full
info on what I just said.  Also, I have a number of very
simple color bar scripts that I've used in the past.  I can provide them to
all if anyone is interested.

You can also create a simple color bar using the cbar.gs script which is
provided in the script library<http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/library.html>
.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Jeff