[gradsusr] Diagnostics in Ctl File?

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:53:31 EST 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:

Mason,
There is a good example of how to code temperature advection in the page
for the cdiff command: http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradfunccdiff.html
The reason for all of the crazy manipulations is because the data points on
your grid are not uniformly spaced on the globe.  Thus corrections have to
be made to get the correct distance between individual grid points.

If you have opengrads, the BJT extensions include very accurate advection
functions, see

http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/libbjt/

These functions use Bott's 4-level scheme for evaluating advection.

   Arlindo

Jeff

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Wesley Ebisuzaki <
Wesley.Ebisuzaki at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Mason,
>
> I think that you've discovered the "private" commands used by nomads
> plot software for defining new variables
> and custom plots.   The nomads plot package is a wrapper for GrADS.  It
> has the ability to run grads .gs files that
> are embedded within the ctl files.
>

> http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/ncep_data/plot_doc.htmlhttp://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/ncep_data/plot_doc.html
>
> Ask NCDC for a copy of the .gs files.
>
> > Has anyone done this before with grads?
> How do you expect the developers to debug the scripts?
>
>     Wesley
>

> Rowell, Mason D. wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I noticed ample comments toward the end of the ctl files available on
> the nomads servers from the NARR page, with a description of how to
> implement these in grads scripting. I tried to take this to plot
> temperature advection but it didn't work, b/c the last line of the comments
> calls for some function never provided. Has anyone done this before with
> grads?
> >
> > Mason

Jeff Duda
Grad student - PhD, Meteorology
University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology - Center for Analysis and
Prediction of Storms