[gradsusr] lists in grads

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 10 08:28:06 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Becker, Bernd <
bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> would it not be nice if one could do operations on lists in grads?
>
> i.e.:
>
> list=' 1 3 5 6 8 345'
>
> newl= 1. / list * 13.
>
> would this be feasible for future releases?
> Perhaps under math extensions?

   A few years back I did some soul searching to decide whether I should
put sometime into extending the grads scripting language. My conclusion was
that there were very well established general purpose scripting languages
already (perl, python) that would be difficult to come even close in terms
of capabilities (and size of the community supporting it). Therefore,
interfacing grads to perl and python seemed more effective, and this is how
gerl <http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Perl_Interface_to_GrADS>and
pygrads<http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS>came
about (and later
PHPgrads <http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=PHP_Interface_to_GrADS>and
TCLgrads <http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=TCL_Interface_to_GrADS>by
Rodrigo and Jose). These days I do my grads scripting almost
exclusively
in python.

  Perhaps Brian and Jennifer have plans for extending the scripting
language...

     Arlindo

> Thanks,
> Bernd.
>

> --
> Bernd Becker   Climate Impacts Product Development
> Met Office Hadley Centre    FitzRoy Road  Exeter   Devon EX1 3PB  United
> Kingdom
> Tel.: +44 (0) 1392 884511 Fax: +44 (0)870 900 5050
> E-mail:bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk -
> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/our-scientists/seasonal-to-decadal/
> bernd-becker
> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2011/weather-game