[gradsusr] Enc: regriding problem

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 8 12:13:41 EST 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Arlindo da Silva wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Arlindo Meque <mequitomz at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>  Dear  all,
>

> 1. I have a forecast file (1.875X1.25)  with 192 points in x-direction and 145 points in y-direction. I am trying to regrid the file to match the observation (2.5X2.5) with 144 points in x-direction and 72 points on y-direction
>

> 2. I am able to create the  regridded file, the problem is  that the dimensions of the regridded file do not much those of the observation file, so I am not able to make the diffidence between the forecast and the observation.
>
> 3. Please find attached the forecast and observed file along with the regriding script.
>

> This more of a question for Jeniffer as I am not sure how sdfwrite figures out the coordinate variables of the output file (does it use the coordinates of the default file?).
The sdfwrite copies the coordinate information from the default file at the time the 'define' command was invoked.
I have no idea what the re() function does when it returns the new grid. If you used lterp instead, you would have the right coordinate info because it's attached to the destination grid expression.

Since you are using opengrads, Arlindo's suggestion to use lats4d may also do what you need.
--Jennifer

> Now, a simple way to produce a file interpolated to this particular grid is to use lats4d:
>
> % lats4d.sh -i forecast.nc -o fcstregridded -ncep2.5 -v
>
> This is going to the standard NCEP 2.5x2.5 grid (which is not exactly what you had on your re() line). Are you sure your re() line is correct? It is kind of an unusual grid. In any event, if you would like to modify the output from ncep2.5 there is a simple way, but let me hear from you first.
>
>       (the other) Arlindo
>
> --
> Arlindo da Silva
> dasilva at alum.mit.edu