[gradsusr] Programming a Tab in ASCII file within Grads

Mac mmacleod at scotiaweather.com
Mon Nov 7 13:19:28 EST 2011

Good afternoon Folks,

I am generating WRF model output for the centroid of a hydrologic
sub-basin for input to the DHI Mark 11 Hydrologic model as part of a
project.

The DHI have provided a proprietary program to convert precipitation and
evaporation values required as input to the Mark 11 model from am ASCII
file format to their proprietary binary format.

There is a requirement to place tabs in the header recorders of the
input ASCII file.

Here is the code section:

******  Write Header records for precipitation *****

valh = " final"
rc = write(filename1, valh)
valh1 = " Time"%^I%Rainfall"
rc = write(filename1, valh1)
valh2 = " Unit      100004        1002           0"
rc = write(filename1, valh2)

I need three spaces between Time and Rainfall and the DHI executable
expects a tab to provide the 3 spaces.  Similarly it requires a tab for
6 spaces between Unit and 100004,  a tab for 8 spaces between 100004 and
1002 and a tab for 11 spaces between 1002 and 0.

The ASCII table character for tab is hex 09 or control I.  I tried ^I as
given in the ASCII table for tab but the GrADS program gave a syntax
error message .

How does one get this in a script to produce the required tab commands?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

Mac MacLeod

--