[gradsusr] how to get the pressure values in to height

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Tue May 24 06:31:29 EDT 2011

P,
You can use the hydrostatic equation and a form of the hypsometric equation
to determine height as long as you're given two pressure values and the mean
temperature in a layer bounded by the height you desire.  The equation is:

DZ = -(RT/g)*ln*(p2/p1), where

R is the dry air gas constant
T is the mean temperature in the layer bounded by pressure levels p2<p1, and
DZ is the thickness of the layer (i.e., DZ = z2 - z1 for z2>z1).  I would
recommend using z1 = 0 as the bottom of your layer to make computations
feasible.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:58 AM, bala vasanthakumar <
bala_vasanthakumar at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>  Can any one please help me out , what is the formula to use and the get
> the values from height  interns of pressure, for example i am getting the
> values of high cloud bottom and top pressure, but in the unit of  pressure ,
> but my requirement is in height in feet or meter.
>

> Thanking u
> P Balavasanthakumar
> Senior Manager
> Sheorey Digital System
> Bangalore
> 080-25237215
>

> <http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.com/signatureline.htm@Middle?>
> Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with *Rediff
> Deal ho jaye!<http://track.rediff.com/click?url=___http://dealhojaye.rediff.com/___&cmp=signature&lnk=rediffmailsignature&newservice=deals>
> *

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University