[gradsusr] Setting color bar for animation

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 23 12:23:58 EDT 2011

Clay,
In your original thread post, you asked how to plot a consistent range
and set of colors for each time slice of data you want to
display.  Is that correct?  If so, then all you need to do is use the
"set clevs" and "set ccols" commands before you display the
data.  Unless you want to adjust the range of contours and colors so
that they fit the maximum and minimum value in the domain
each time you display data, then it really is that simple.  Simple
code to do this would be:

'set dbuff on'
t = 1
'set gxout shaded'
while (t <= 5)
  'set t 't
  'draw title Temperature'
  'set clevs A B C D E F G H I ...'
  'set ccols 17 18 29 20 21 22 23 ...'
  'd t'
  'cbar'
  'swap'
  t = t + 1
endwhile

This example assumes you have defined color numbers 17, 18, 19, ...
and so on using the "set rgb" command prior to this section
of code.  It might be easier just to write a separate script file that
defines the colors, then issues the "set clevs" and
"set ccols" command.  Then you could replace some of the code above
with something like

'set dbuff on'
t = 1
'set gxout shaded'
while (t <= 5)
  'set t 't
  'draw title Temperature'
  'run mycolorscript.gs'
  'd t'
  'cbar'
  'swap'
  t = t + 1
endwhile

where you created the script called mycolorscript.gs.  I have sample
animated gifs stored at
http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda/sfc_div.gif
and http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda/radar3.gif that show how I
used those command lines and a while loop to create the
frames necessary for an animation, then used gifsicle to make the
animated gif.  Gifsicle is another way to make animations,
but you have to use it outside of Grads, and you'd need to make the
images first (i.e., the frames of the animation).

I hope this clarifies things.

Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University