[gradsusr] curvilinear data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Mar 21 17:01:05 EDT 2011

It is possible to use PDEF to map curvilinear coordinates to a regular
lat/lon grid, but I have never tried, and I know of nobody who has
already done this with GrADS. It requires some knowledge of how to
convert any lat/lon value into real-valued i,j coordinates in the
curvilinear grid. It has always been easier to do this interpolation
outside of GrADS.
--Jennifer

On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:00 PM, James T. Potemra wrote:

> As far as I know, GrADS will only be able to handle curvilinear grids
> that are curvilinear in one dimension, i.e., lat(i)/lon(i), not
> lat(i,j)/lon(i,j). Of course you can always make the control file
> whatever you want, but the display will not be correct.
>
> Jim
>
> Edward wrote:
>>
>> hi, gradsuser,
>>
>> Does anybody has an idea to deal with the curvilinear data in grads?
>> Do I need list all long/lat in ctl file? or  interpolate outside
>> grads
>> before grads?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

>> Dawn