[gradsusr] get output from shell command

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 17 13:02:51 EDT 2011

Bernd,

I'm not sure how GrADS runs in parallel?

Do you start GrADS 17 different times?  If so, if this would help,
perhaps you could give each of the "sysdate.dat" files a name using the
GrADS process ID's as follows (to illustrate technique):
ga-> echo `ps |grep grads`
Unknown command: echo
ga-> ! echo `ps |grep grads`
19846 pts/3 00:00:00 grads
ga-> ! echo `ps |grep grads | cut -f1`
19846 pts/3 00:00:00 grads
ga-> ! echo `ps |grep grads | cut -f1 -d' '`
19846

...after quiting GrADS and restarting:
ga-> !touch sysdate.`ps |grep grads | cut -f1 -d' '`
ga-> !ls sysdate.*
sysdate.19919

Note, you may need to do additional "bookkeeping" to know which
"sysdate.*" file to use when...

If the above does not seem workable, another possibility would be to
"append" the information to a single "sysdate.dat" file using ">>":

'!date >> sysdate.dat'

Note, you may need to initialize "sysdate.dat" like:
'!touch sysdate.dat'
before doing the first "append" using ">>"...

Then, keep track of which line in the file corresponds to which of the
17 GrADS shells... I'm not sure how you are initiating 17 GrADS shells,
or whether it is possible to know the order of how the GrADS shells are
started and/or the order in which each GrADS shell writes the "date"
into the "sysdate.dat" file, etc...

Hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
official or unofficial position of the United States Federal Government,
the United States Department of Commerce, or NOAA."