[gradsusr] Problem extracting HIRLAM gribfile

Jonas Kaufmann me at j0nes.de
Fri Mar 11 05:33:27 EST 2011

Hello,

I ran into a problem trying to extract a HIRLAM data set on a rotated
lat-lon grid. the file is in grib1-format. I could create a valid
control file using the code from g2ctl.pl for grib2-files, merging
this together with the code in grib2ctl.pl for grib1 files. Although a
control file is created, I also get errors like:

grib header at record 1: two values of nxny 246768 144639
   LEN 162734 DataStart 14 UnusedBits 6 #Bits 9 nxny 246768

When I then go ahead and try to plot a map using GrADS, I always get
"Entire Grid undefined". I have attached the grib file, the index file
and the control file.

What am I doing wrong? How can I extract the data from this gribfile?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Jonas Kaufmann