[gradsusr] Info about shape files

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 30 14:50:01 EDT 2011

Actually, point shapefiles are naturally suited to the GrADS station
data interface, and I have already written a short C program that will
convert a point shapefile to a GrADS station data set. I would be
happy to share this code if anyone is interested. But this is an
external utility, and there are no plans to integrate it into GrADS.

The idea of using a polygon in a shape file to define an area to mask
out a gridded data set would be a useful feature; however, this is
done very easily by the GIS tools, and we have no plans or funding to
implement this in GrADS. It's possible to kludge it with manual
interactive scripting using 'q pos' to click on grid points that you
decide are in/outside of a polygon, but this is not practical for high
res data or a large number of polygons.

--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org