[gradsusr] Problem Opening NetCDF File Using Control File

Adam Frumkin ajf09f at fsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 17:35:54 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I am experiencing an error when I attempt to open a NetCDF file with a
control file.
The netcdf file contains total precipitation data from CCSM4 downloaded from
ESG.
I am using GrADS version 2.0.a9 on Unix.

*The error I receive from GrADS when i attempt to plot the total
precipitation variable (PRECT) is:*

*Error: Variable prect not in netcdf file **<----This is what has me
confused*
*Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'prect'*
* Error ocurred at column 1*
*DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression *
* Expression = prect*
*
*
Any help in identifying why this error is occurring would be
greatly appreciated. Below I will paste the control file I am using and
below that, some of the output from ncdump -c proving that, despite what
GrADS is telling me, my variable should exist in the file:)

*First the control file (a shortened version):*

*DSET ^precip.nc*
*DTYPE netcdf*
*TITLE Total Precipitation Rate*
*UNDEF -1.e+34*
*OPTIONS 365_day_calendar*
*XDEF 288 levels 0 1.25 ...(I left out the rest to keep it short)*
*YDEF 192 levels  -90 -89.0575916230366 ...(again left out the rest to keep
it short)*
*ZDEF 1 levels 0*
*TDEF 1872 linear JAN1850 1mo*
*VARS 1*
*PRECT 0 t,y,x  Precipitation (m/s)*
*ENDVARS*

*Below is some of the output of ncdump*

*netcdf precip {*
*dimensions:*
* time = UNLIMITED ; // (1872 currently)*
* lat = 192 ;*
* lon = 288 ;*
* chars = 8 ;*
* ilev = 27 ;*
* lev = 26 ;*
* isccp_prs = 7 ;*
* isccp_prstau = 49 ;*
* isccp_tau = 7 ;*
* slat = 191 ;*
* slon = 288 ;*
* tbnd = 2 ;*
*
*
*variables:*
* double P0 ;*
* P0:long_name = "reference pressure" ;*
* P0:units = "Pa" ;*
* float PRECT(time, lat, lon) ;*
* PRECT:units = "m/s" ;*
* PRECT:long_name = "Total (convective and large-scale) precipitation rate
(liq + ice)" ;*
* PRECT:cell_method = "time: mean" ;*
*
*