[gradsusr] Wind direction in degrees at 10 meters

Andre Pattantyus apattantyus2008 at my.fit.edu
Tue Jun 14 22:54:59 EDT 2011

Salvador,

I assume you are working with wrf output? if so you can specify it to output
wind direction and wind speed at 10 m, wd10 and ws10. In the
namelist.Arwpost that is provided there is a list of fields below the plot
specification. just copy this and paste it above where it asks for fields
and a more complete set of output variable (109 I believe) will be produced
from the output. good luck.

andre

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM, Salvador Salazar <sal.salazar1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Several questions have been asked about plotting wind direction in
> degrees at 10 meters, but the scripts I found so far are giving me
> funny results. Further, ARWpost doesn't seem to throw this variable
> out, although it does throw wind direction at the z levels. I'm
> posting the script below, hopefully someone can spot the error:
>
> 'define dir=atan2(-u10,-v10)*180/3.141592654'
> 'define
> dir=const(dir,1)*(const(maskout(dir,dir),0,-u10)+const(maskout(360+dir,-dir),0,-u10))'
>
> The problem with the above script is that it's telling me my model had
> Southern winds in the beginning, when I know it had North/Northeast
> winds from simply looking at the vectors u10 and v10. So, hopefully it
> just has a negative somewhere it doesn't belong or some other trivial
> error.

Andre Pattantyus, Graduate Student Research Assistant
Marine and Environmental Systems, Florida Institute of Technology
150 W. University Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901

Phone: (321) 674-8330 | Fax: (321) 674-7212 | Email: apattantyus2008 at fit.edu