[gradsusr] Maximum Winds

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Tue Jun 14 12:51:11 EDT 2011

'd maxloc(mag(ugrd,vgrd),lev=1000,lev=850)' will give you the z level of
maximum wind speed.  If your pressure levels are in 25 mb increments, then
the pressure level is just 1025 - 25*Z, where Z is the maxloc and it is
assumed your lowest pressure level is at 1000 mb.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Walsh, Brian J <brian.walsh at amec.com>wrote:

>  I have winds (ugrd, vgrd) at various pressure levels and want to
> calculate the maximum low-level winds, for instance.  So, I may want to get
> the maximum winds over a region from 1000 mb up to 850 mb.  How can I go
> about doing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian
>

>  *  ________________________________  *
> The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
> individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
> Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or
> privileged information.
> If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
> disseminate, copy or print its contents.
> If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
> e-mail and delete and destroy the message.

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University
Meteorology Graduate Student
3134 Agronomy Hall