[gradsusr] Eastward shift in data with time

jimbo32886 at gmail.com jimbo32886 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:39:05 EDT 2011

Hello All,

  I am attempting to plot data on a single surface using GrADS v1.9b4,
however, when I plot different times the data seems to shift eastward by a
degree or two.  The data is on a 1x1 grid (89.5S-89.5N,.5E-359.5E).  I wrote
the data out to GrADS binary format using this FORTRAN code:

***I cut out only the relevant piece of code, data variable fv was set-up
previously***

    open(10,file='oclgradsfrwatvol0_700.bin',
     *    status='unknown',form='unformatted')
c    open(10,file='oclgradsfrwatvol0_300.bin',
c     *    status='unknown',form='unformatted')
c    open(10,file='oclgradsfrwatvol0_100.bin',
c     *    status='unknown',form='unformatted')

    do iii = 1,tdim

      write(10) ((fv(iii,i,j), i=1,idim),j=1,jdim)

      write(99,*) ((fv(iii,i,j),ri(iii,i,j),rj(iii,i,j),i=1,idim),j=1,jdim)

      enddo
      close(10)
      end

As you can see by looking at the code, I also write out the data to a
fort.99 file.  The data is written correctly to the fort.99 file, thus I am
assuming it was written correctly to the *.bin file.  Just for your
information tdim is time dimension, in this case it is set to 60 for 60
months, idim is longitude dimension, set to 360, and jdim is latitude
dimension set to 180.  My control file is as follows:

DSET    oclgradsfrwatvol0_700.bin
TITLE   FW
OPTIONS sequential
UNDEF   -9999.000
XDEF 360 linear 0.5 1.0
YDEF 180 linear -89.5  1.0
ZDEF 1  levels 0
TDEF 60  linear 01JAN2006 1mo
VARS 1
frwvol 1 0 fwvol
ENDVARS

Now, when I do run the control file and set time to 1, I get 0 for the value
at gridpoint .5E,89.5S, where in reality I should be getting -9999
(undefined).  I'm sure I am just missing something minor, but I can't figure
out what it is.  It's just weird that it is writing out the data correctly,
but when GrADS is ran, it seems to shift the data to the east as I increase
the time.

Thanks,
Jim