[gradsusr] wave model plotting

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Jun 7 20:15:47 EDT 2011

The choice of which trigonometric function to use for which component, and whether a minus sign is required for one or both components, depends on the convention used for the wave direction. Is north equivalent to 0 degrees? Whatever convention is used, if you believe the vectors are pointing in the opposite direction, just put a minus sign in front of both components:

'd -sin(dirpwsfc*3.14159/180);-cos(dirpwsfc*3.14159/180)'

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org