[gradsusr] define a simple scalar

Lisa Welp-Smith lwelp at ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 30 15:00:24 EDT 2011

Hello,

I'm having a problem with what I'm sure is a simple task.  I want to
define a scalar to convert a slope (i.e. units/year) into a trend line
over several years.  I'm using this to detrend a time series.
Basically I just need to construct a simple scalar (i.e. variable = 1 2
3 4 5...) or a variable that equals the year of each entry of my dataset
(i.e. variable = 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995...) that I can multiply by my
slope values.  I can use tloop to create the right dimensions (variable
= 1 1 1 1 1...) but I can't seem to get the values to increase for each
time step.

Imagine I could either create a datafile manually and read it in or
somehow extract the year information from the existing dataset into a
user defined variable.

Is there an equivalent of 'define variable(t=2) = 2'?  I know this
syntax is wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa

--