[gradsusr] LFC calculation

Kevin Huyck klhuyck at meridian-enviro.com
Wed Jul 27 10:04:26 EDT 2011

Meredith,

I ran into a similar problem while attempting to compute condensation
pressure deficit (CPD). My solution was to derive an equation for my
value of interest and then implement it in GrADS. Deriving the equation
was the most difficult portion of this task. Once I had that in hand, I
used several steps to bootstrap the solution in GrADS. For example, my
CPD equation requires virtual temperature and the change in height by
way of the hypsometric equation. For one step, I calculate the virtual
temperature grid. In the next step I use the calculated virtual
temperature grid in the hypsometric equation to find the change in
height. For my way of thinking, a step-wise process, taking each piece
in a small chunk, is easiest to comprehend during the testing phase.
After you verify your solution works, you can refine the method to
improve your processing efficiency.

In my experience, you can "define [var]=[eqn]" to create the appropriate
gridded variable. If you have x and y varying (for a single time),
you'll calculate the variable for each gridpoint in your domain or vary
x, y, and t for multiple time steps in your domain.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin L. Huyck
Forecaster, Meridian Environmental Technology, Inc.

Composed using Mozilla Thunderbird!

+++Begin copied text+++

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to plot a contour plot of LFC height, similar to the graphic
on the SPC Mesoscale Analysis page, my control file does not output LFC
directly,  is there anyway I can calculate this in grads?

Thanks for your help.

Meredith
+++End copied text+++