[gradsusr] in netcdf file unable to display 4-D variables

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Jul 27 08:22:05 EDT 2011

You did not include the ncdump output that shows the metadata for the
coordinate axis "lev" -- it may have been insufficient. If that is the
case, then GrADS won't recognize variables that use that coordinate
axis. Furthermore, you need to include the version of GrADS you are
using, since the sdfopen interface has changed over time and this
information may be quite relevant. After you have sdfopen'ed your
file, try a 'q file' and see if it has found a z-axis with levels that
match the ncdump output. If not, then you will need to write a
descriptor file, either a short version for the xdfopen command, or a
complete one for the open command. The documentation is at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html
--Jennifer

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA