[gradsusr] Starting Grads on a Mac

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 18 17:03:13 EDT 2011

On Jul 18, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Alex Kolker wrote:

> Dear Grads Community,
>   I'm new to GRADs, and I'm trying to get it started up on a Mac. I'm trying to work through the tutorial to start with. I can either not properly download the practice files, or I can't properly get my version of GRADs to locate these files. Any suggestions?

If you mean the model.ctl, model.gmp, model.grb files, I usually put them in their own directory, like ~/grads/tutorial, chdir to that directory, and THEN start up grads.  Then you need to make sure that (1) you can find the grads executable and (2) you can find the other grads files, like the fonts and maps.

For #1, you can either (a) add the location of the grads executable to your $PATH variable, (b) set up an alias with the full path of your executable or (c) just type in the whole path of the executable (ugh).  In my case, I have it in my PATH, which includes /Users/clynnes/bin:

~/grads/tutorial>which grads
/Users/clynnes/bin/grads

For #2, make sure you have your GADDIR environment variable set to the directory where you installed the fonts and maps. On my Mac, for instance:

~/grads/tutorial>echo $GADDIR
/Users/clynnes/etc/grads
~/grads/tutorial>ls $GADDIR
dat		font3.dat	lomap.dat	nmap.dat
font0.dat	font4.dat	lowres		stroke.dat
font1.dat	font5.dat	mres		udunits.dat
font2.dat	hires		newmap		worldmap
~/grads/tutorial>

> Thanks so much,
> -Alex
>
> --
> Alexander S. Kolker, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium
> 8124 Highway 56
> Chauvin, LA 70344
> akolker at lumcon.edu
> (985) 851-2837 (o)
> (504) 579-2427 (c)

Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185