[gradsusr] NOMADS download speeds

Wesley Ebisuzaki Wesley.Ebisuzaki at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 12 15:42:23 EDT 2011

Joey,

       My impression of the nomads server is that it is very fast.
However, I have a very fast link to the internet and
the site is only 10 miles away.

      You are using the GFS which has 0.5 degree resolution (260K
points) and you are using the filter program
which can create a regional subset.   If you are asking for a 5x5 grid,
then your download speeds will be
slow.  After all you have to process 10K points for every point sent to
you.

     Another possibility is that you may have run afoul of some
fair-usage filter.   Every site needs some protection
against denial-of-service attacks and poorly programmed web scripts.
Anyways the nomads help desk is a more
appropriate source of information than the GrADS user forum.

    Wesley Ebisuzaki