[gradsusr] 'GrADS on the Web' - strong precipitation and landslides, Central America-Caribbean

wilfried.strauch wilfried.strauch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 18:00:20 EDT 2011

A pilot project in Nicaragua on heavy rainfall and landslide early
warning in near real time:
http://georiesgos-ca.ineter.gob.ni/lluvia/nesdis/gif/index.html

You have to place the cursor over the map to see a movie. The single GIF
frames are made with Grads from the NESDIS Hydroestimator data and are
then put together with ImageMagick to generate the animation. On the
left you can select a region or country in the Central America-Caribbean
area.

The system is capable to generate alert messages by email when strong
rain occurs over a landslide prone area, e.g. volcanoes in Central America.

Best regards

Wilfried Strauch
OSOP Panamá
www.osop.com.pa