[gradsusr] over plot sub region on global chart

James T. Potemra jimp at hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 27 13:56:17 EST 2011

Hi Bernd:

One way, not very straightforward, is to first plot the global data
(plot1), then
find out where the subplot lat/lon range is on the page, do "parea" for
just that
part, and then plot the subset (plot2).

For example, let say that you plot 0-360, -90-90, and it occupies
0.5-10.5 (width)
and 0.5-8.0 (height) on the page.  Next you want to plot something from
360, 0-90 (i.e., the top right corner).  If you enter "parea 5.5 10.5
3.75 8.0", then
set lat/lon and plot the subplot, it will plot in the top right corner.
This is just for
example, the exact location on the page will depend on your borders, labels,
etc.  To get the exact location you can plot the first one, then make
use of
"q w2xy", or "q ll2xy" to return the location on the page of specific
lat/lon
points.  Also note for the second plot you'll probably want to turn off
the map,
frame box, lat/lon labels, etc.  Note that doing it this way will plot
in the area
you specify, so you have to make sure the lat/lons are set correctly
(e.g., you
could theoretically plot 180-360, -90-0 in the upper right corner.

'set lon 0 360'
'set lat -90 90'
'd prec'
'q w2xy 120 0'