[gradsusr] opening text file data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri Feb 11 09:55:36 EST 2011

James,

On Feb 11, 2011, at 9:09 AM, James Ciarlo` wrote:

> I opened grads and entered 'script.gs' and got this:
> Warning: OPTIONS keyword "template" is used, but the
>    DSET entry contains no substitution templates.
This is harmless.

> And I also acquired the file 7hA01.out.bin
Good...

> Then I ran the script control.gs, that is:
No. Now that you have a binary data file, the contents of what you
call 'control.gs' is a data descriptor file that describes what's in
your binary file. Descriptor files usually have a ".ctl" extension. To
read this data with GrADS, you use the open command:

ga-> open 7hA01.ctl

where 7hA01.ctl contains this:

> dset ^7hA01.out.bin
> undef -9.99e8
> xdef 1 linear 1 1
> ydef 1 linear 1 1
> zdef 1 linear 1 1
> tdef 755 linear 0Z01JAN1948 1mo
> vars 1
> var 0 99 var
> endvars

I STRONGLY suggest you take some time to read the User's guide, and
then run through the tutorial before continuing.
http://iges.org/grads/gadoc

--Jennifer