[gradsusr] GRADS1.9 OS X compiling problem --- big endian vs. small endian

Malte Stuecker malte.stuecker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:15:30 EST 2011

Hi,

I have a problem getting GRADS 1.9 running on my OS X 10.5 machine.
I first downloaded the pre-compiled darwin version from the website and
everything is running (incl. netcdf),
however, on the starting screen GRADS states "big endian". The OSX 10.5 is
small endian to my knowledge. I used the big endian grads version
on some data files and everything seems working. Should I be  concerned that
some data might be wrong because I am using a big endian software on a small
endian machine?
I also tried compiling the source files, however I can only get gradsc
compiled and not netcdf, opendap etc, even though the libraries are in the
standard directories.
Any tips on that?
Thank you very much in advance!
Cheers,