[gradsusr] OpenGrads Installation

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 11 16:47:27 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Andrew Revering <andy at f5data.com> wrote:

> Arlindo,
>
> I'm sending this to you privately

Not so, you replied to the whole list...

> because I dont want to accidentally send some server-sensitive information
> to the entire list accidentally...
>

>> Simply type "env" at the command line and you will get a list of all
>> environment variables defined.
>>

> root at server [~]# env
> HOSTNAME=*********************
> /env

Good, no grads related environment variable is being set, so we can rule
out any conflict there.

>> Make sure you move the Contents/ directory as a whole, keeping directory
>> tree intact.
>>

> So for example, should it be:
> /opt/opengrads/Linux.... etc.
> or
> /opt/opengrads/Contents/Linux.... etc.
>
> I currently have it as the first scenario.

Either is fine, provided the whole Contets/ directory (and all
sub-directories are moved over). In your case, make sure /opt/opengrads  is
ahead in your path (and not another directory further down under Linux/).

> I don't think I'm able to do this because the server is a web server and
> I'm connecting through SSH.

Sometimes you need the -X option to enable X windows through ssh, for
example

% ssh -X myserver.domain.com

> So when I run opengrads I get  "error in GXSTRT: unable to connect to X
> server"
>
> So I have to run everything with -lbc 'run ' scripts. Is there a way to do
> q udx and send that output to a text file?

You can run grads interatively without having X Windows connecivity. Just
start opengrads in batch mode (-b option) :

% opengrads -bl

What I am looking for is whether you see a line like this:

</Applications/OpenGrADS/Darwin/Versions/2.0.0.oga.1/i386/gex/udxt> ... ok.*

and whether

ga-> q udx

gives you a full list of extensions.

     Arlindo