[gradsusr] UDF in open grads 2

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 23:29:23 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Arlindo da Silva
<arlindo.dasilva at gmail.com>wrote:

> Henrique,
>
>   This is a proposed API which has not been released. Your best bet is to
> download the opengrads sources and look at all the examples under
> extensions/. Start with the "hello, world" example under hello/. You can
> write extensions (UDFs or UDCs) in C, Fortran or even gs scripts.

At this point only the low level API is available. You can find some
information about this API here:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Low-level_API_for_Writing_Extensions_in_GrADS_v2.0

For example, you could use this interface to re-implement any of the
regular grads intrinsic functions in src/gafunc.c.  As I said, I have
purposedely not documented the grads internal data structures involved, you
need to know what you are doing to use this API. But with just a bit of
"monkey see, monkey do" you should be able to create meaningful extensions
with relatively minimum effort.

I should also mention that the IPC
extensions<http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/libipc/>include some
functions

  IPC_save()
  IPC_load()
  IPC_pipe()

that could be used to emulate the functionality of the older UDF in GrADS
v1.9. For example, IPC_save() can write any grads expression to a file
(using a header very similar to the header in traditional UDFs), and
IPC_load() can read similar files returning a grads expression. So, you can
use IPC_save() to write to disk the input data for your UDF; you can use
"!" to run you UDF applicatication, and IPC_load() to read the results of
your UDF application. IPC_pipe() is a bit trickier to use, but it is very
powerful (I used it to implement the GRIB-2 interface in GrADS v1.9).
Combine this with the gsUDF
capability<http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/gsudf/>and you got yourself a
bonafide UDF as in the good old days. Read the
documentation above for more information.

  Good Luck,

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu