[gradsusr] Tropical cyclone plotting script

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Sun Aug 21 12:48:39 EDT 2011

I think I understand what you're saying.  Modify the script as indicated:

-set the variable in the maxloc commands as either vorticity or
pressure to get the center of the TC correct.
-to find maximum wind in the TC, use nested max functions: 'd
max(max(mag(u,v),lon=xcenter-X,lon=xcenter+X),lat=ycenter-Y,lat=ycenter+y)',
where xcenter and ycenter
are the center of the TC and X and Y are some tolerance you choose.
This allows you to automatically move the search rectangle of the
maximum wind with the TC as it
moves and you can set a distance from TC center as to how far out you
will search.
-save the output of the above function to a variable
-set your color table for the maximum wind using 'set clevs' and 'set
ccols'.  You could create your own colors using 'set rgb' if you need
more than the default 13 color levels.
-use if statements, each with their own 'draw mark' statement, to
color the dots the color you want.

Let me know if this is not what you want.

Jeff