[gradsusr] Binary ncdump, ncgen, etc

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 19 10:42:56 EDT 2011

All,

  I thought I should mention this. If you build grads from sources you may
have heard of the the opengrads pre-compiled supplibs: a bunch of libraries
that are needed for compiling and linking grads. When preparing these
libraries, a whole bunch of utilities gets built in the process, ncdump,
ncgen, h5copy, etc. We make these binaries also available on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/supplibs/2.2.0/

Look for the suptools-*.tgz for your platform. These are mostly statically
built. Make sure to get the "suptools", not "suplibs", unless, of course,
you are building grads from sources.

   Arlindo

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Reto Stauffer <
Reto.Stauffer at student.uibk.ac.at> wrote:

> Is ncdump correctly installed? Try
>
> > which ncdump
>
> If the system cannot find the executable, it will not work. Probably
> the binary file isnt linked correctly to your /usr/bin directory
> (standard path for executables on unix systems).
>
> Please have a look to your user-bin directory under /usr/local/bin. If
> the ncdump is located there, the installation is correct and you have
> to link the ncdump only to the path you need it OR to your /usr/bin
> directory.
>
> Then you unix should find it when you call
> > which ncdump
>
> To link try
> > cd /usr/bin
> > ln -s /path/to/your/ncdump-executable .
> (probably >ln -s /usr/local/bin/ncdump .)
>

> Installation notes from
> http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/help/formats/netcdf/nc_utilities.html#unix
> --------------------
> 1.1 Unix/Linux Operating System
>
> You should be able to just type 'which ncdump' and if the software is
> installed the display will show the directory location of the utility.
>
> However, if the system is not yet installed please follow the
> instructions here.
>
>     You should visit http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/ and
> click on one of the download options (e.g. a compressed tar file
> and/or zip file).
>     Unzip and extract the contents of the tar file (using whatever
> decompression-utility you have handy, such as gunzip and tar).
>     You should now have uncompressed the filedata to reveal a
> directory full of files such as 'Makefile', 'Readme', 'Release_notes'
> etc. Locate the file named 'INSTALL.html' and open it in a
> web-browser. This file will instruct how to install the software on
> the computing platform that you are using. (If you do not know which
> platform you are using then ask your system manager.) The INSTALL.html
> document is also available at:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html if you have
> problems locating it.
>     Follow the instructions in the INSTALL.html document for your
> relevant platform.
>     To test that the software has been correctly installed you should
> be able to type 'ncdump -help' which displays a message of how to use
> the utility. Depending on your set-up you may have to include the full
> directory path such as '/usr/local/bin/ncdump -help'.
> -----------------
>
> Zitat von SRAVANI A <srisravani.a at gmail.com>:
>
> > Thank you saeed but how to install nc dump in grads and also i m using
> > fedora latest version i already install netcdf but in grads ncdump
> command
> > is not working
> > Thank you

> > --
> > A.Sravani
> > Research Scholar
> > Department of Meteorology & Oceanography
> > Andhra university
> > Visakhapatnam

Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu