[gradsusr] line smoothing

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Aug 9 13:30:20 EDT 2011

The smth9() function will do what you want, and you can nest
expressions, like this:
'd smth9(smth9(smth9(var)))'

Also, the difference between using 'define' and 'display' for the ave
function is that 'define' has looping over time built in. For display,
you need to wrap a tloop() around the expression and it will work fine:

'd tloop(ave(var,t-3,t+3))'

--Jennifer

On Aug 7, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Arlindo da Silva wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Howard Staines <metris at clear.net.nz>
> wrote:
> I was interested in smoothing line for meteogram ... 1D data
> Accepted this maybe obvious but ...?
>

> I am assuming that you would like to smooth in time... One very
> simple way to achieve this is to plot a running mean with the ave()
> function. So, for a single (lat,lon) point with t varying, instead of
>
> ga-> d t2m
>
> do
>
> ga-> define tt = ave(t2m,t-3,t+3)
> ga-> d tt
>
> where [t-3,t+3] is the time window; play with the width of this
> window until you find something that is reasonable. And make sure to
> define the smoothed variable first because entering
>
> ga-> d ave(t2m,t-3,t+3)
>
> will not work (for reasons that are too technical to go into here.)

>     Arlindo
>

> --
> Arlindo da Silva
> dasilva at alum.mit.edu