[gradsusr] Ploting Cross/X at specific grid box

James T. Potemra jimp at hawaii.edu
Fri Aug 5 14:06:20 EDT 2011

Dan:

You can do this with two loops, one over X (lon) and the other over Y
(lat).
First open the data and plot something in order to plot scaling dimensions
(if you don't want to display anything just set the maximum clev
appropriately).
Next, loop over all lat/lon and "set X" / "set Y" each step of the way,
store the
result in two variables.  Then, display your variable, and if equal to a
valid
point, draw a character.

As an example, let's say you have a variable called "temp", with 360
longitudes
and 180 latitudes, with missing values equal to -999.
*--------
* open data set and display some variable
'sdfopen dansdata.nc'
'set cmax -10000'
'd temp'

* loop over all lon/lat
i = 1
while ( i <= 360 )
    j = 1
    while ( j <= 180 )
*  set location to (i,j) and store lon/lat response
      'set x 'i
      xlon = subwrd(result,4)
      'set y 'j
      ylat = subwrd(result,4)
*  convert lon/lat to inches on the page
      'q w2xy 'xlon' 'ylat
      x1 = subwrd(result,3)
      y1 = subwrd(result,6)
*  display variable at this (i,j) point
      'd temp'
      val = subwrd(result,4)
*  if value is not "missing", draw an "X" centered in the grid box
      if ( val != -999 )
         'set string 2 c'
         'draw string 'x1' 'y1' X'
      endif