[gradsusr] Plotting Station data using R

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 2 18:25:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Ousmane Ndiaye <ousmane at iri.columbia.edu>wrote:

> Thanks
> I know how do do this using fortran, I was looking for a R code/program.
> I'm moving to R now and want to be able to do everything using R.
> Thanks for your effort.
> Does anyone tried this using R code.

As Jennifer mentions, if you want to use R exclusively, this is not the
forum. However, if you are trying to use R to perform some statistical
analysis that cannot (easily) be performed in GrADS, there is a relatively
easy way to have these 2 packages talking to each other. For example, you
could do your computational steering from python,  using  PyGrADS to
interface to GrADS and RPy to interface to R.  Relevant URLs are:

  http://rpy.sourceforge.net/
  http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Python_Interface_to_GrADS

As rule this mixed programing approach can become messy real soon, both
sometimes GrADS is a better tool for accessing data while R implements the
needed algorithm to solve your problem. I am not sure this is what you are
looking for.

  Arlindo

> Ousmane

Arlindo da Silva