[gradsusr] Viewing Climate Indices Created with CDO

sarah okeefe sarahanneokeefe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:18:58 EDT 2011

Hi, I am a beginning user of GRADS and would really appreciate some help.

I took a model run and performed an operation using CDO that gave me the
number of consecutive dry days for each grid box for the time period
selected. I then open this in GRADS. When I try to view the results on a map
GRADS keeps giving me an error that indicates index is not a variable name.
I tried to open the file in XCONV to modify the variable name - but XCONV
won't open the file. As a beginning user my skill set to solve these
problems is quite limited. Does anyone know what I should do?

*GRADS COMMAND:* d consecutive_dry_days_index_per_time_period
*GRADS RESPONSE*
Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
  'consecutive_dry_d' not a variable or function name
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = consecutive_dry_days_index_per_time_period

*FILE INFO*
ncdump echam5.dryindex.2081-2100.nc | more
netcdf echam5.dryindex.2081-2100 {
dimensions:
        lon = 192 ;
        nv = 2 ;
        lat = 96 ;
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
variables:
        double lon(lon) ;
                lon:long_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
                lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:axis = "X" ;
                lon:bounds = "lon_bounds" ;
        double lon_bounds(lon, nv) ;
        double lat(lat) ;
                lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
                lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:axis = "Y" ;
                lat:bounds = "lat_bounds" ;
        double lat_bounds(lat, nv) ;
        double time(time) ;
                time:units = "minutes since 1955-01-01 00:00:00" ;
                time:calendar = "proleptic_gregorian" ;
        float consecutive_dry_days_index_per_time_period(time, lat, lon) ;