[gradsusr] LFC calculation

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 20 11:16:54 EDT 2011

Unless you're using OpenGrads, which might allow for defining a variable by
grid point, you probably can't compute LFC height in any direct way.  If you
were somehow able to compute a vertical parcel path at each gridpoint,
however, you could then use the fndlvl command (
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradfuncfndlvl.html) to find the first
vertical level at which the parcel temperature exceeds the environmental
temperature.  It's the first part that I can't think of a way to do.

If you are dealing with WRF output and you have the netCDF files, you can
run ARWpost or WPP on them to get LFC calculated. Otherwise you might try
using some other graphics software.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Meredith Croke <mcroke at airdat.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I’m looking to plot a contour plot of LFC height, similar to the graphic on
> the SPC Mesoscale Analysis page, my control file does not output LFC
> directly,  is there anyway I can calculate this in grads?
>

> Thanks for your help.
>

> Meredith

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University