[gradsusr] wrestling with LATS4d

Becker, Bernd bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk
Wed Apr 20 06:18:39 EDT 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the development and provision of the lats interface!
It is really handy and works very well (most of the time)

I am sub selecting and regridding an ensemble forecast and hindcast.
Lats does it's thing but occasionally , I get

LATS warning (lats_parmtab: Closing the previously opened Parameter
Table: /home/fred/blogs/misc.table

and very occasionally, after about 15-20 minutes and grubbing through
ca 20-40 files, I get

LATS warning (lats_parmtab): Closing the previously opened Parameter
Table:
/home/fred/blogs/misc.table
/home/fred/blogs/grads/gdopmod.ksh[193]: 496646 Segmentation
fault(coredump)

I wonder if this is caused by the following:
in the grads script two files are opened:
the input file and a dummy file to describe the new grid

'lats4d -v -table /home/fred/blogs/misc.table -de
/home/fred/blogs/dummy.ctl -vars tmin tmax prec mslp z -func
re(@,192,linear,0,1.875,145,linear,-90.00,1.25,ba) -lon 0 357.1875 -o
'outfile' -precision 12  -format grads_grib '

Now I added a 'sleep 2' to give lats a breather and to sort out all
internal I/O.

and here I have choice: either
- reinit or
- close 2, close 1

before the loop goes to the next file.

But is does not change the error.

All runs well, singing and dancing for about 20 minutes, then seg
faults.

Restarting the suite to continue working throught the list of files
works fine for
another batch of files until seg fault.

What is there to try to pin point the problem?
Thanks,
Bernd.

--
Bernd Becker   Climate Impacts Product Development
Met Office Hadley Centre    FitzRoy Road  Exeter   Devon EX1 3PB  United